Foursquare provides a variety of free business tools—everything from specials (discounts, rewards, free offers) to venue analytics—all to help you reach the 20 million people checking in with Foursquare.
In order to take advantage of Foursquare’s business tools, you’ll need to work with Foursquare to claim ownership of your venues. Fortunately, Silverpop is here to guide you through the process.
For businesses with fewer than 10 locations:
For venue owners that want to claim fewer than 10 locations, follow these instructions:
1) Find your venue on Foursquare by using Foursquare’s search tools.
2) Click on your venue’s page and locate the “Claim here” link. Click on this link to start the venue-claim process.
3) From here, you’ll be asked a variety of questions to ensure you are the owner. During this process, make sure you are logged into the Foursquare account that you will use to manage your venues. If you don’t have a Foursquare account, setup is easy.
4) When you’re ready to actually complete the claim process, Foursquare will let you claim the venue by either:
a) Answering a call to your business’s verified phone number
b) Sending you snail mail with a verification code
5) If you’re able to verify your phone number with Foursquare’s system, congratulations! You’ll be able to instantly start accessing their analytics and running specials. If you chose the snail mail option, you’ll be able to complete the process after receiving your instructions from Foursquare.
For businesses with more than 10 locations:
Foursquare has created a great process to help you do a bulk claim of all your venues. To get started, you’ll need to manually submit a request to Foursquare to execute your bulk claim. You can submit your request at http://support.foursquare.com/anonymous_requests/new.
From there, make sure you have a spreadsheet of all your locations handy. You’ll need the venue names and addresses for each location. This ensures Foursquare can properly match and claim your venues.
During the claim process, when asked what you need help with, select “Foursquare for my business/managing my venue(s).” Give a brief description that you’d like to claim your multiple locations, include your Foursquare account URL, and attach your spreadsheet.
Once this process is complete, you’ll be able to run specials and access venue analytics across all your locations.
Now that you’ve claimed your venues, it’s up to you to create a great campaign that gets people to check into your venues.
Need help creating a killer campaign? Check out Silverpop’s “5 Tips for Launching a Successful Check-In Promotion.”
More Location-Based Marketing Resources:
1) Blog: “Check-ins and Gamification: Bringing the Magic Back to Marketing”
2) Infographic: “2011 Black Friday Check-ins”
3) Tip Sheet: “7 Tips for Getting Started with Location-Based Marketing”