Offline, point-of-sale (POS) and in-store tactics can get your holiday shoppers to opt in to your email program just as online sources can. Today’s technology gives you many options:
- Add QR codes to print materials (bags and bag stuffers, print ads, catalogs, store signs and other point-of-sale promotions) that link to a simple online registration page.
- Promote SMS to email opt-ins on POS signs, ads throughout the store or in mall locations or transaction receipts.
- Offer to email receipts to store customers, and include an opt-in offer in the message.
- Install in-store POS tablets or kiosks to allow shoppers to add their names and email addresses to your database.
- Train call-center reps to capture permission for email promotions.
- Post signs encouraging shoppers to join your loyalty program using Foursquare or Facebook. Members receive rewards for check-ins and coupons via email.
- Use check-in sweepstakes programs to increase store visits and gain opt-ins.
- If you haven’t gone digital yet, start with simple opt-in cards at POS.
Keep the following two tips in mind as you move to attract more shoppers to your email program:
1. Consider a makeover or mobile version for your email registration page. A streamlined or mobile-friendly page will increase opt-ins from on-the-go smartphone users.
2. In many cases, a key element to success of your offline-to-email promotion is your salesperson, cashier or call-center employee. Train your employees on the benefits of joining the email program, details of your check-in and other promotions, and how to address frequently asked questions.
More Holiday Marketing Quick Tips:
1) “Do the Math in Discount Promotions
2) “Leverage Facebook to Grow Your Email Database”
3) “Include Shipping Options and Deadlines in Holiday Retail Emails”