I know it’s hard to believe, but we’re running full speed toward the year being halfway over. And if you’re an e-commerce marketer, it’s officially time to start buttoning down your holiday season strategy. Sound extreme? Well, when you’re staring at booking up to 40 percent of your annual revenue in that short stretch of weeks, it pays to be ultra-prepared.
At Silverpop, we work closely with our customers and partners to make sure everyone’s all set up and ready to move units beginning Black Friday (Nov. 29 this year). But the reality is that increasing revenue pressures — and a marginally improving economy — are probably going to continue to push the kickoff of the holiday selling season earlier, into the first half of November and even into October.
So the question is: Are you ready to rock your holiday campaigns in mid-fall? Here are three questions to ask to make sure you’re well positioned for a successful holiday selling season:
1) Have you worked with IT on scheduling? Don’t make the mistake of waiting until a few weeks before “go” time to ask IT for their help on system tweaks you’ll need for the big holiday push. Instead, work with IT on timing now to ensure you’ve scheduled the last of your systems enhancements before volume starts building.
2) Have you figured out your frequency plan? If you’re like most retailers, you’re planning on increasing frequency during the holiday season. Instead of going from sending one email a week to five without any idea how your customers will react, take the time between now and October to test different send frequencies and how they impact opens, clicks, conversions, unsubscribes and spam complaints. (Get tips on increasing email frequency.)
3) Have you selected this year’s program enhancements? Rather than going with the same old promotions, why not take it up a notch and brainstorm some creative ways to stand out from all the other holiday emails that will be hitting your customers' inboxes? Think about the one or two marketing program upgrades you’ll incorporate into this year’s holiday push, such as a revised cart abandon campaign or a new dynamic promo code strategy, and map out the steps you’ll need to get there while you have plenty of time to implement them.
Bottom line? Whatever your holiday strategy, there are lots of things to think about – and getting started now is the best way to maintain the slightest bit of sanity come holiday season.
To help marketers think through these impacts, Silverpop is working with our partner CrossView to deliver a Webinar titled, “Ready, Set, Sell: How to Create Personalized & Profitable Holiday Email Campaigns.” During the hour, we’ll cover segmentation and personalization strategies that yield higher-performing email campaigns. For example, how can you drive more response to your early-phase holiday season campaigns by factoring in customer behaviors — and how can you drive follow-on purchases once you move into the later-stage, clear-the-inventory phase?
To get the answers to these holiday marketing questions, and many more, please register for our Webinar. We look forward to having you join us on Thursday, June 27, at 2 p.m. EST.
Related Blog Posts:
1) “Quick Tip: Include Shipping Options and Deadlines in Holiday Retail Emails”
2) “5 Common Holiday Email Mistakes – and How to Overcome Them”
3) “Happy Lost Sock Memorial Day! How You Can Leverage ‘Special Days’ for Creative Email Campaigns”